It was celebration galore recently in the highbrow Lekki area of Lagos as dignitaries from all works of life irrespective of religious affiliation all converged to celebrate the best of fashion at the first edition of Christian Fashion Show, organized by Love and Grace Life Event (LGE).
Inset: Debbie Enemoh, Director of LGE and daughter of ASCON Oil boss
The event which featured different fashioner designers who showcased their top class designs adjudged to be decent for Christian women was spiced up with live gospel music and health talk giving audience a scintillating experience of a lifetime.
The event which featured different fashioner designers who showcased their top class designs adjudged to be decent for Christian women was spiced up with live gospel music and health talk giving audience a scintillating experience of a lifetime.
The show was described as a “new concept in the world” according to the Director of LGE and daughter of ASCON Oil boss, Debbie Enemoh.
She said, the show is aimed at educating the youth and teenagers on the need for decent dressing and how to strike a balance in their fashion life.”
Speaking with newsmen at the event, she said: “These days a lot of young girls are not dressing properly and decently and this is causing a lot of issues in the society. We are losing our moral values apart from our Christian values. Even recently, there are lot of rape cases going on because of those values that we are losing fast. We are trying to be westernized but it’s not really our thing to be that way. We are trying to pick up something but it’s not really blending. Nigeria is supposed to be a morally upright country since we are very religious people.”
Adding she said, many people because of low self-esteem feel if they do not expose their bodies nobody will talk to them. So, you may actually have to talk to people individually to find out why they are actually doing what they are doing. Is it because of peer pressure from friends?
“Is it because they are angry with their parents? It’s more of having individual relationship with them. Many people just single grouped the youth but, if you notice a child that is particularly….you have to talk to them and get to know why they are really doing what they are doing. It’s not everybody that is just doing it because others are also doing, some people have a purpose, peer pressure or they are dealing with low self-esteem.”
She further stated that, this fashion show is to teach such people how to strike a balance in their fashion life. How to find that balance and not to be at extreme end exposing your body and then on the other extreme end when your clothes are just too big and no man is going to look at you anywhere because you are not palatable at all.
Below is the transcript of her interview
God told me my clothes were tight and a bit seductive
I have personal experience with God, am a Christian but I didn’t know that there are certain things that God doesn’t like. My dress used to cover everywhere but it does look a little bit seductive and you know, men are moved by what they see. They are moved by sight. I got to know that and it was a learning process for me until God gave me the vision last year October to start a Christian Fashion Show in Nigeria. By that time, I was doing my masters in Event Management. I am not really happy the way young ladies dress these days but, I am not in any position to judge them. There is a way that I used to dress that God spoke to me and told me that the clothes were too tight. For me, I was covering my body but the cloths were too tight. And I was like, how do I dress? And I started communicating with God. Some people may not even know that their dressing is seductive because of different values. For instance, in UK I can dress differently because nobody looks at you twice but in Nigeria, people would ask, what is this person wearing? In the UK you can wear short and bra to the beach and nobody would say anything. It’s because of that cultural difference, so, it is not anybody’s right to judge anybody. I have been there before and God has questioned me about the way I used to dress. When you judge people, you push them further away.
0 comments:
Post a Comment